Saturday, August 16, 2008

Judy Henske

Most of you probably never heard of Judy Henske. She had some popularity as a singer in the 1960s and might be considered sort of a cult figure today. She sings a mixture of blues, folk, jazz, and pop music. I came to be a fan sort through the back door. In the early 60s I was a devotee of the Kingston Trio, and when Dave Guard left the trio, I was interested in what he would do next. Well, he formed a group called Dave Guard and the Whiskeyhill Singers, which produced one album. Among the songs in this collection was the best version of “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out” I have ever heard-- Judy Henske does a solo, with some tasteful 12 string guitar for accompaniment. The Whiskeyhill Singers soon broke up, and Judy pursued a solo career. I bought at least three of her albums. One of these contained a terrific version of “High Flyin’ Bird” written by Billy Ed Wheeler. Judy Henske's website can be found at http://www.judyhenske.com/

1 comment:

librarian47 said...

Again, the uncertainty of the Internet has revealed itself again. The links to the songs I mentioned in this post have been taken down.